The SuN.Com Project: An overview
What is SuN.Com?
The SuN.Com(munity) is an EU funded education project for language educators and learners.
Among the less used and spoken languages of EU member countries: Greek, Italian, Russian, Albanian, Slovenian , Latvian, Polish, Czech, Romanian.
Action Synergy (Greece), HCC (Greece), ANUP (Romania), LCC (UK), IEIE (Germany), BSW (Germany), Universitá Orientale (Italy), Baltic Bright (Latvia)
To form a methodology and develop a platform in order to promote language learning through informal language learning communities.
Role of the Language Communities
- Each community is devoted to a single language and specifically focuses on informal learning methodologies.
- The users of the platform participate in a language experience with no preset language outcomes but orientate their own language acquisition through heuristic language building, online socialization and enculturation and a playful practise in relation to widely used social media.
- They utilise peer informal teaching methods for all the languages offered.
- Learning happening as a result of online social interaction.
- No «teachers» and «students»: there are learners that are willing to learn a language, other learners and native speakers willing to support them in this learning process and moderators that coordinate the activities of the community.
- Users are able to share educational material with each other.
Project's Basic outcomes
- A social network community of learning for users who wish to learn or help others learn.
- A platform that includes multimedia resources and language learning materials.
- A handbook proposing a model for online language learning in informal learning communities.